A game changer is an idea, procedure or finding that effects a significant shift in the current way of doing or thinking about something.
The purpose of this award is to raise awareness and the profile of its awardee and their innovative/transformative work over the past 24 months.
By way of example, it could be:
- an early stage finding
- a transformative analytical process
- bringing new technologies or techniques together to create a new way of doing things
- bringing fields of research together potentially creating a whole new field of inquiry
- an idea that creates positive ripples/disruption in the research/medical field to which it applies and more
- The nominee can be any researcher or part of a team of researchers, irrespective of discipline but needs to have relevance to improving cardiovascular health outcomes, whether in the short, medium or long term.
- This award has a strong focus on contemporary ideas/innovations with the program of work being current in the past 24 months. Early-mid career researchers (EMCRs; 15 years < post-PhD excluding career disruptions) are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The nominee does not have to be an ACvA member
- The winner must demonstrate their ongoing commitment through championship of the sector and stakeholder engagement.
- The panel reserves the right to withhold granting the award for the calendar year if it deems nominations did not meet the standard required.
- The nominee agrees to participate in promotional activities related to the ACvA Excellence in Cardiovascular Research Awards should they be required.
How to nominate
- A game changer can be nominated by anyone, including by themselves.
- The nominator/nominee should complete the application form using the link below, noting the requirement for two referees to provide objective evidence of the impact of their work. These can include:
- Senior scientists/lab heads/research directors
- Funding bodies (eg NHFA, Stroke Foundation)
- Editors from journals
- At least one referee must be from an external organisation separate from the nominee.
- The key criteria will be demonstrating that the idea, procedure or finding did affect a significant shift in the current way of doing or thinking about something and that this is validated in line with the application form.
- The gamechanger nominations will provided to a review panel who select the award based on the above criteria.
Applications close on Monday 5th September at 5pm (AEST).
Before applying, we recommend that you read our FAQs HERE.